Monday, February 14, 2011

You Make My Heart SING!

I was one of those kids who made "mix cassette tapes" for my friends back in the day! I'd spend hours taping songs off of the radio, splicing them, and then putting the songs all together. It was one of the ways I showed others I loved them. This is still one of my very favorite presents... MUSIC! But seriously.... how much easier is it today to create a mix in Itunes??? This would have been beyond my wildest dreams during the "boombox" era. For Valentine's Day this year I made my kids and my husband a special mix.


I spent hours pouring over songs, since I wanted songs of LOVE from my grandparent's era, some sentimental to us, some from our childhood, some country, some pop, and some good tunes we could dance to in the kitchen. Here is what I came up with for each:

For My Kids:
Lean on Me - Rascal Flatts
Stuck Like Glue - Sugarland
Smile - Uncle Kracker
Crazy Little Thing Called Love - Queen
Come Go with Me - The Del Vikings
Say Hey (I Love You) - Michael Franti & Spearhead
Love is All Around - Wet Wet Wet
1, 2, 3, 4 - The Hit Co.
One Love (People Get Ready) - Glee Cast
Go Daddy-O - Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

For my Valentine (I know there is a lot.... did I mention I LOVE music??):
Marry Me - Train
True Companion - Marc Cohn
Can't Fight this Feeling - Glee Cast
I Got You Babe - Sonny and Cher
Fire - Glee Cast
Let Me Call You Sweetheart - The Hit Co.
Y-O-U - Jonah Werner
How Sweet it is to be Loved by You - James Taylor
It Had to Be You - Harry Connick Jr.
Love is All Around - Wet Wet Wet
Always Only You - Josh Wilson
Your Man - Josh Turner
Whatever it is - The Zac Brown Band
Hallelujah - The Canadian Tenors
I Love You - Martina McBride
Make Someone Happy - Jimmy Durante
Kiss Me - Sixpence None the Richer
Your Body is a Wonderland - John Mayer
Loving You, Loving Me - Dave Barnes
At Last - Etta James
Can't Explain this Feeling - Jonathan Kingham
L-O-V-E - Nat King Cole
Plus some of the ones above I put on the kids' CD

I'm sure I missed some key songs -- let me know what I"m missing!

Here is another idea for Valentine's Day:
Cookie Decorating Sets

You can buy un-iced cut out cookies from your local bakery (you may need to special order them). Make your own icing. I like using the classic recipe: 1 1/2c. butter, 1 lb. powdered sugar, 3 tbsp. milk or cream, 2 tsp. vanilla.
Place the icing in a cute bowl. Collect some Valentine's candies in a bag and tie. A fun activity for the whole family!

No comments:

Post a Comment